If you haven't logged in for over a year, you will still be able to log in, but your institutional administrator rights must be reinstated. To have your administrator rights reinstated, please email [email protected].
First, click on the PDF icon within the article, then click the download button (blue downward arrow in top right of screen), and print the downloaded PDF using your local PDF reader.
- EZproxy users: The new stanza is available from OCLC. This update must be performed no later than August 30; updating your stanza prior to launch will not interfere with access to the current HighWire site. Further instructions on how to add a database stanza as a self-hosted EZproxy library can be found on the OCLC website
- OpenAthens users: You will need to update your OpenAthens URL from August 31 onwards. The new URL is (please add your entity ID to replace the bold section):
https://go.openathens.net/redirector/YOUR ENTITY ID?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.science.org%2F
To be able to login to the Institutional Administrative Portal, you must go through Two Factor Authentication (2FA).
If you are logging in from an IP address that we recognize as belonging to your institution, you will not be prompted for 2FA; a recognized IP address serves as a second factor.
If you visit the Librarian Portal for the first time, it will offer you three options:
- An Authenticator App from Microsoft, Google, or others, available on Android and Apple smartphones. This is the easiest and least error-prone way. To use the authenticator app method, download the app from your app store. Add an account by scanning the barcode displayed on the website
- Email verification
- SMS (text message) verification
If you run into issues accessing your account because 2FA is not working, please email [email protected] for assistance.
The institutional site administrator is solely responsible for managing the authorized IP addresses affiliated with their institutional site license. AAAS does not perform IP updates on our customers’ behalf. Please be aware that usage is monitored based on downloads from each IP address registered to your institution and that usage fees may apply.
You will need to log in to the Institutional Administrative Portal with your AAAS ID in order to make any account updates. To add or change your institutional IPs, choose “IP Ranges” under the Institutional Account menu on the left.
Each IP range must be entered separately (the description field is optional), and Atypon supports both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Acceptable formats for IP ranges are:
- Colon between first IP in range and last IP in range (example: 126.96.36.199:188.8.131.52)
- Asterisks representing all numbers 0-255 in the third and/or fourth octet (examples: 101.23.*.* or 128.23.12.*)
- Dashes to represent specific ranges in the third or fourth octet (examples: 132.10.30-40.* or 184.108.40.206-28)
- CIDR notation of range subnets (example: 220.127.116.11/24)
Please contact [email protected] if you require further assistance.
COUNTER 5-compliant usage statistics for the Science family of journals are available through the Institutional Administrative Portal. Simply log in with your AAAS ID, then select “Usage Reports” under the Institutional Account menu on the left. Instructions for harvesting usage data via SUSHI will be displayed on this page; if you prefer to download files in JSON or tab-separated value format, click the button to go to the COUNTER reports dashboard and select the desired report and date range.
Usage reports are generated on a monthly basis and become available approximately 10 days after the end of the calendar month.
AAAS/Science allows you to place your organization’s logo in the upper-right corner of science.org. This location, considered high-value real estate on any website, has been reserved for your exclusive use as part of our commitment to our institutional customers. Each time one of your users visits the Science website, your organization’s logo will remind them that paid access to our high-impact journals has been made possible through your institutional subscription.
You will need to log in using your AAAS ID to the Institutional Administrative Portal in order to make any account updates. To add or change your institutional logo, select “Co-branding” under the Institutional Account menu on the left. From there, you can update your banner text (the name of your institution as it displays in the page header) and add or change your institutional logo. The uploaded image type should be JPEG, GIF, or PNG and size should be at most 350x60 pixels.
Atypon allows more than one person to be granted administrator privileges for an institutional account. Any current administrator can add or delete other institutional administrators within the Institutional Administrative Portal. Simply log in with your AAAS ID, then select “Manage Administrators” under the Institutional Account menu on the left and enter the email address of the new administrator or delete existing administrators. If you wish to update which administrator is your institution’s primary contact, please inform us at [email protected]. If you need further assistance, please email [email protected] with the full name and email address of the new administrator. Please be sure to indicate your 8-digit AAAS number in the subject line of your email.
If you or your users are unable to access online content to which your institution subscribes, please contact [email protected] at your earliest convenience. To help us diagnose your access issue, please take the following steps:
- Clear your browser cache, completely close your browser, and then retry accessing your subscription content in a new session.
- Check the access being provided to your current session by searching “InstitutionUser” on the User Identities help page. Make sure that the article(s) in question are included under one or more licenses shown on this page.
- Send an email to [email protected] with the following information: your institution name and AAAS number, your current IP address, a description of the error, and screenshots of the article(s) you are unable to access. If you are able to access content from some parts of the magazine but not others, kindly make note of this as well. Please make sure the top of the page with the URL is visible in your screenshots.
Four months before your current subscription term expires, AAAS will send the institution’s primary point of contact a renewal notice with pricing information and subscription term dates for the coming rate year. We will also send periodic follow-ups as your expiration date approaches until we receive a response. To confirm your renewal, please send an email to [email protected] to either request an invoice for direct renewal or to inform us of the subscription agent who will be handling renewal on your behalf. Any additional updates you can provide during your renewal process are much appreciated.
Please note that print and online subscriptions are handled by different departments at AAAS. For any inquiries about your institutional print subscription, please reach out to our Membership department at [email protected] for assistance.
Science has been at the center of important scientific discovery since its founding in 1880 with seed money from Thomas Alva Edison. Today, the Science family of journals continues to publish the very best in research across the sciences, with articles that consistently rank among the most cited in the world. Each journal has an interdisciplinary scope, a rigorous but expeditious peer review process, and publishes research that encourages open discourse amongst a diverse set of readers.
If your institution is interested in a free trial or price quote for any of our resources, please complete this form and a representative will contact you shortly with further information. If you are interested in an institutional print subscription to Science, please reach out to [email protected] for assistance.
Our pricing for non-profit customers is tiered and based on the number of full-time equivalents (FTEs) across the entire institution. Part-time employees should be included in the full FTE count for all institution types on a 2-to-1 basis; that is, 2 PTE = 1 FTE (round up to the nearest whole number). Full FTE count is defined as follows:
- Academic institutions: full-time-equivalents include (a) current professional staff, such as faculty, teachers, researchers, and teaching/research associates, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites and affiliates covered by the license; (b) individuals who are officially enrolled as a registered student at the Licensee's institution (both graduate and undergraduate levels) at all sites and affiliates covered by the license. As of the 2017 rate year, academic FTEs exclude administrative/support staff.
- Hospitals: full-time-equivalents include (a) current professional and medical staff, such as doctors, nurses, and medical technicians, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites covered by the license; (b) all researchers, research associates, and medical students employed or enrolled at the hospital. As of the 2017 rate year, hospital FTEs exclude administrative/support staff. If an academic institution will provide access to an affiliated hospital or medical center, the FTEs for the hospital must be included in the total university FTE count. If the IPs of the hospital are entirely separate from the university, and will not be included under the university’s activated account access, these FTEs should not be included.
- Other non-profits: for research institutions, government bodies, and private non-profit organizations, the total FTE count includes all current employees, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites covered by the license. Administrative and support staff are included in the full FTE count for these institutions.
- Corporations: While for-profit corporate pricing is based on usage, we require the FTE count for new subscribers to be able to provide introductory pricing. The total FTE count for corporations includes all current employees, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites covered by the license. Administrative and support staff are included in the full FTE count for corporate customers.
Please refer to our license agreement for further details and contact [email protected] with any questions.
Occasionally, institutions with existing subscriptions to Science digital content will acquire or merge with other institutions, requiring a thorough evaluation of pricing for the combined account to continue receiving access. Our policy states that any merger between two or more existing subscribers will be offered negotiated pricing, taking into account the previous price paid by each of the merging institutions. Please contact your account representative or email [email protected] to discuss any mergers that might impact your institutional license.